Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Pablo Picasso


I read today that it is the 35th anniversary of the death of the artist, Pablo Picasso. He died near Cannes at the age of 91. Born in Spain, he became one of the most famous artists of all time - but I have to say, I know what I like when it comes to art (amongst other things) and I genuinely fail to understand the attraction of his work. Whilst walking through Leamington Spa in Warwickshire, I couldn't help but stop and look at another type of "art", and wonder just where the dividing lines are when it comes to categorising such work - I detest graffiti which damages buildings and property, but I can see artistic "merit" in some and can find it acceptable in the right place, such as a temporary hoarding as shown in the photograph (pity that the original "art" has been vandalised by inane graffiti!)

1 comment:

Jane Hards Photography said...

An interesting point of view. Always good to see photos of the uglier side of life, and yes graffiti,mostly is that.